What is the difference between the 3 Traffic Control Courses?
RIISS00054 Traffic Controller Skill Set
(formerly referred to as blue card).
This qualification is for those who manage and control traffic using a stop/slow bat or a similar control device.
This is the new SafeWork NSW qualification, effective July 2020. It replaces the previous course, RIISS00044 – Traffic Controller Skill Set.
RIISS00055 – Traffic Management Implementer Skill Set
(formally referred to as yellow card).
This qualification is for those who are required to setup the traffic signs and devices in accordance with an approved traffic control plan (TCP).
This is the new SafeWork NSW qualification, effective July 2020. It replaces the previous course, RIISS00041 – Implement Traffic Control Plans Skill Set.
RIISS00056 – Traffic Management Designer Skill Set
(formerly known as Select & Modify Traffic Control Plans (red card) and Design & Inspect Traffic Control Plans (orange card)).
This qualification enables those successfully completing the course to create a traffic management plan (TMP) as well as selecting and modifying existing traffic control plans (TCP’s) and conduct formal traffic control worksite Inspections.
This is the new SafeWork NSW qualification, effective July 2020. It replaces the previous course, RIISS00045 – Work Zone Traffic Control Guidance Plan Developer Skill Set
Why is there a difference in course prices in the industry?
At Commonsense Safety Training, we are providing the latest SafeWork NSW approved training qualifications which came into effect from July 2020.
Our pricing includes the course theory classroom training AND the practical assessment which takes place on a real road situation. Some other training companies will charge extra for this assessment.
When you get your training from Commonsense Safety Training you will be job ready, no more to pay!
How do I become a Traffic Controller?
Successfully complete the required Traffic Controller training courses and practical assessments.
What knowledge or qualifications do I need to start the course?
- A USI (unique student Identifier)
- Most traffic control companies expect traffic controllers to hold a driving licence
- Documents that support 100 points of Evidence of Identity
- To work in construction in NSW (working on the roads is considered to be construction work) you must have a SafeWork NSW Construction Induction card (white card) or similar interstate qualification. We can provide SafeWork NSW Construction Induction White Card as a 3 course combo with the traffic controller training.
How long is my photo licence valid for?
The SafeWork NSW training card is valid for your working life, however industry standards may require that you refresh your knowledge and keep up with industry developments and changes at regular intervals
How long do the courses take?
- Traffic Controller, Theory training and assessment takes 1 day, plus a practical assessment in a real on road situation
- Implement a traffic control plan (layout a traffic worksite), Theory training and assessment takes 2 days, plus a practical assessment in a real on road situation
- Combination Traffic Controller and Implement a traffic control plan, Theory training and assessment takes 2 days, plus a practical assessment in a real on road situation.
Note: there is a lot of common knowledge between traffic Controller and Implement which translates into saved training and assessment time
- Prepare a Work Zone Traffic Management Plan, Theory training and assessment takes 2 days.
Can you train us at our workplace?
Subject to having adequate arrangements for the theory and practical aspects of the training Commonsense Safety Training can deliver the courses at your workplace.
What do I need wear?
- Work boots, if you have them (we have some loan boots available)
- Open toed foot wear is not acceptable for the practical training session
- We provide a hi-vis vest for practical training
- Suitable protection from the weather
What are the job prospects?
There is a demand for good, reliable, hard-working people in the traffic control industry
What happens if I can’t make it on the day?
You can re-book once at no charge
What do I have to bring?
Other than personal clothing we supply all other requirements for the course
Is there parking on site?
There is plenty of parking on site or in the surrounding area at all our training venues
What amenties are available at the training location?
Who can I call to find out more about the courses?
Call Commonsense Safety Training on 0429 424 919